During the summer season, people often empty their bank accounts for a great air conditioner to keep their family cool and comfortable. But the size of energy bills open the floodgates of more problems. They waste thousands of dollars in the long-term.
Therefore, these days, people are preferring portable AC units over window AC units.
They don’t want long-term expenditures to ruin their fun. However, the thing they don’t perceive is energy bills aren’t the only thing that makes a portable air conditioner cost effective.
They save your money in lots of other ways too.
Don’t believe that?
Well, let’s find out…
Modern portable air conditioners allow you to alter temperature according to your need.
This feature wasn’t available in conventional models, but now you can find it in almost all the famous brands. It gives you the needed relief from almost all kinds of heat temperatures.
‘Temperature Control’ feature, of course, facilitates in saving the money, you still cannot count on it in larger rooms.
Since, in larger rooms, the portable units require extra power, which can be acquired through ‘Temperature Control’. It can be expensive to operate per unit of cooling.
To make it less expensive, the best thing you can do is to adjust the temperature to the higher settings slowly, over the course of a few days.
This will make it less expensive and allow your body to acclimate it rather easily. You will have adequate comfort all the time.
Check your energy bill, or electricity units, each month/week on desired temperature settings. Sooner or later, you will have compromise settings you can live with.
Energy To Cents
Everyone talks about its energy efficiency, but today will reveal how the actual variables work and how exactly you can estimate or control your energy bills.
Usually, when it comes to energy costs, the measurement is one kilowatt of power consumption per hour.
Experts believe that a 7,500-BTU portable air conditioner unit consumes about 2.2 kWh. So, in other words, according to U.S. Energy Information Administration too, one kilowatt-hour of energy can cost you around 17 cents.
If you have a 7,500 BTU unit, which is often available in small and medium size, it will cost 35-36 cents each hour.
Similarly, portable air conditioners with high BTUs can cost more. For example, a 10,000-BTU unit consumes 2.9 kWh, and a 14,000 BTU unit uses 4.5 kilowatts of power per hour.
You can use the 17 cent figure per hour with the BTUs of your portable air conditioner to have an educated guess regarding your energy bills.
On the whole, the cost of using a portable air conditioner depends on your usage.
If you need a quick blast of cool air, portable AC is the best.
Unfortunately, a quick blast of cool air isn’t possible with a window air conditioner. It operates in an utterly different manner. The cool air is dispersed throughout your entire home in an almost equal manner.
On the other hand, a portable air conditioner doesn’t only provide a blast of cool air quickly but also directs the blast where it is needed the most.
Therefore, it is often installed in industries where the machines require constant temperature and can’t survive intense heat.
Even at the home, many people use these units especially in the kitchen to keep the appliances cool or maintain the temperature. Since the temperature in the kitchen is sure to rise and it affects the nearby rooms as well. Furthermore, it becomes tough to cook too.
It becomes necessary to get the temperature back to comfortable levels.
Apart from these above major benefits, there are a few small benefits that make a portable air conditioner more cost-effective, such as:
- Access to Windows… This is a benefit you can’t avail with a window AC unit. If you live in a small apartment with only a few windows, this unit can be a blessing. You can’t only relish the fresh air, but also have the flow of the portable AC anywhere you want.
- Operates Without Disturbance… You can’t run a window air conditioner unit with efficacy in a room that receives heavy traffic. Luckily, this isn’t the case with a portable unit. Due to the direction of the air, you can place it in a room with traffic flow.
- Dehumidify Your Space… Do you live in a humid environment? No problem at all. It is a perfect solution. It dehumidifies the air and makes you feel super comfortable on muggy days. This feature, the overall operation, also makes it use a lot less electricity.
- Ready To Use… Yes, no need to call or count on a professional technician for installation. This portable unit is almost always ready to use right out of the box. All you need is to place it in your desired location and do some adjustment with the hose.
- For Smaller Rooms… It is designed for smaller rooms. It has enough cooling power to make a small room comfortable within a few minutes. That’s why you don’t need to run it all the time. It assists in saving big bucks and doesn’t make it work harder either.
- A Safer Option… These units don’t hang outside. So, you can consider it a safer option too. Furthermore, because of their smaller size, like a miniature refrigerator, you can move them rather comfortably from one place to another according to your need.
Although, portable AC units have numerous advantages and they are especially cost effective but you can’t expect them to operate as a central HVAC system for cooling your entire home.
It is because their purpose and operation are utterly different. They cannot cool your whole home at once. Instead, they are designed to provide targeted cooling.
Apart from this, the repair and maintenance service isn’t expensive either. If you are buying a portable unit from a reputable brand, it can be a lifelong friend.